Current:Home > ScamsCamila Cabello opens up about reconciling with ex-boyfriend Shawn Mendes: 'It was a fun moment' -Prime Capital Blueprint
Camila Cabello opens up about reconciling with ex-boyfriend Shawn Mendes: 'It was a fun moment'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:25:28
When it comes to rekindling an old flame, "there's nothing holdin'" Camila Cabello back.
Cabello, who previously dated fellow popstar Shawn Mendes, opened up about getting back together with Mendes during an episode of the "Call Her Daddy" podcast released Wednesday.
The subject came up when "Call Her Daddy" host Alex Cooper asked Cabello for her opinion on reconciling with an ex-partner. "I think it's known I'm a fan. I've supported it in the past," said Cabello, alluding to her second-go with Mendes. "I personally think it's helpful."
The "Señorita" singers, who announced their breakup in November 2021, sparked rumors of a renewed romance when they were spotted hanging out at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California, last April.
"I'm kind of impulsive in that way," said Cabello when asked about her reunion with Mendes. "If I feel it, I say it, and I'm not really good at not doing that. Because then the worst place for it to live in is my mind, and then I'm like Ryan Gosling in 'The Notebook' building a house for this person. So, I would rather say it and see what happens, and then wake up the next day and find out that it's been heavily documented."
"I opted for that route," Cabello added. "It is what it is. It was a great route. It was a fun time. It was a fun moment."
As for why Cabello's do-over with Mendes didn't last, the "Bam Bam" songstress chalked up their second breakup to a lack of chemistry.
"You’re just kind of like, it’s not a fit. It doesn’t feel right," Cabello said. "Luckily, I was in a place in my life where it took me less time to realize that. It took us both less time to be like, 'This doesn’t feel right, and we don’t really need to try so hard to make it work. It’s all good.'"
However, Cabello told Cooper there’s no bad blood between the exes.
"I will always care about him and love him," Cabello said. "He’s such a good person, and I’m lucky ‘cause some people have exes that are awful, and he is not. He’s a really kind, good person."
Why did Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes break up?
Cabello and Mendes played coy about their relationship status for months in 2019 before confirming their romance on Instagram that September with a sloppy make-out session that poked fun at their haters.
The pop singers collaborated on the 2019 single "Señorita," a Latin-infused pop banger that earned them a No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and a Grammy nomination for best pop duo/group performance. The then-couple also performed the multiplatinum hit at the 2019 MTV Video Music Awards.
In November 2021, Cabello and Mendes announced their breakup to fans after two years of dating.
"We've decided to end our romantic relationship, but our love for one another as humans is stronger than ever," the singers each posted on their Instagram Stories. "We started our relationship as best friends and will continue to be best friends. We so appreciate your support from the beginning and moving forward."
Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes breakup:Singers break up after 2 years, vow to 'continue to be best friends'
'They really take care of me':Camila Cabello talks bonding with 'The Voice' coaches
Contributing: Charles Trepany, USA TODAY
veryGood! (6)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Taraji P. Henson will host the 2024 BET Awards. Here’s what to know about the show
- Brother Marquis of Miami hip-hop group 2 Live Crew has died at 58
- Fraud trial juror reports getting bag of $120,000 and promise of more if she’ll acquit
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Michigan man driving during viral Zoom court hearing had license suspension lifted in 2022
- Save 75% on Gap, 75% on Yankee Candle, 30% on Too Faced Cosmetics, 60% on J.Crew & Today’s Best Deals
- Anthony Fauci faces questions during contentious COVID-19 hearing in the House
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Russian disinformation network targets politicians ahead of EU elections
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Former U.S. soldier charged with homicide, robbery in plot to fund fighting trip to Venezuela
- Kentucky governor unveils rental housing projects for region still recovering from 2021 tornadoes
- Angel Reese okay with 'bad guy' role in WNBA after Chicago Sky-Indiana Fever game
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- A judge will mull whether an Arizona border rancher can face a new murder trial after dismissal
- Claudia Sheinbaum elected as Mexico's president, the first woman to hold the job
- For Pregnant People, Heat Waves Bring An Increased Risk of Preterm and Early Term Babies, Study Finds
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Wisconsin school bus crash sends 2 children to hospital
Congressman’s son steals show on House floor, hamming it up for cameras
Fauci testifies about COVID pandemic response at heated House hearing
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Musk’s X is allowing users to post consensual adult content, formalizing a prior Twitter policy
Kilauea, Hawaii’s second-largest volcano, is erupting again
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Starter Home